SE5 Electric build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

SE5 Electric build

Postby dbcisco » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 am

I am building an old die cut SE5 for Electric motor and 3ch control.
Here are some pics of the process so far:

GWS gearbox with 180 motor installed with 3degree offset doan and right. RTV silicone for vibration damping added.

Overview of fuselage framework with servos installed. Electronics for it and my magnet building board visible as well in these two pics:

Starting to add the skin. Balsa for metal and wood parts, coverlite for cloth. Trying to keep close to scale. BTW, that is a popsicle stick, it is where the hardware for the cabanes will screw in. I also reinforced the wing opening as this will have removable wings.

Image[/img]
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby supercruiser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Very interesting. What kind of servos, receiver and battery pack are you using? I might like to do something similar with a Guillow kit.
supercruiser

Postby dbcisco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:01 am

The servos are 8 gram generics. The 4ch reciever, ESC and power system are basic GWS components for their slow-sticks. I have been using this stuff for most of my planes. My TX is an Eflite 4ch for a CX heli (Futaba compatible). I setup throttle on left and rudder/Elevator on right stick.
The motor is a 180 with about a 5:1 ratio gearbox. Not sure what prop I'll need yet.
dbcisco

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:58 am

Hey Dbcisco, I found you here too. :D Bill G from Wattflyer.

Figured I'd start posting here too, so Guillows sees the interest in the e-conversions. Maybe even get them to reissue some of the vintage kits I'd like to buy.
Bill Gaylord

Postby dbcisco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 am

Genius minds think along like lines :idea:

Good to see you here.
dbcisco

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks DB. I'd like to know how you got your pictures linked? I figured out how to use the URL button to show a link, but couldn't figure out how to show a pic, presumably using the Img button.

Speaking of SE5As, I noticed Guillows has my SE5A picture shown above their SE5A replacement parts listing. Why didn't I get Picture of the Month? :P Really wanted it with the Sopwith this past month, but I had good competition with that nice Stearman conversion. Like to know how that bipe conversions flys.

Well I've had terrible micro Guillows plane flying weather here the past few days, with rain, and worst of all, wind. Not very good when you're flying a 24" Guillows Storch. Made a few adjustments and got it going pretty well, and have been anxious to put it up again. Looks like its not happening today again either.[/u]
Bill Gaylord

Postby dbcisco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:39 pm

The weather just turned for the worst here yesterday.

Your planes are beautiful. Maybe someday I could manage to get my covering to be wrinkle free at least. Mine are ugly and over-engineered. I do nice electronics though. :wink:

The only good thing about my covering is that the fuselages look like the real ones'. Think I'll do faux stitching on the SE5 fuselage. I can't do all the scale things but I do what I can with what I've got (and skill isn't one of them).
dbcisco

Postby dbcisco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:43 pm

To link pictures, click the IMG button, insert the URL of the picture, click "Close Tags" (blue text below buttons). Click the Preview button and you pic should show up, then click the Submit button.
dbcisco

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:37 pm

dbcisco wrote:The weather just turned for the worst here yesterday.

Your planes are beautiful. Maybe someday I could manage to get my covering to be wrinkle free at least. Mine are ugly and over-engineered. I do nice electronics though. :wink:

The only good thing about my covering is that the fuselages look like the real ones'. Think I'll do faux stitching on the SE5 fuselage. I can't do all the scale things but I do what I can with what I've got (and skill isn't one of them).

Interestingly, the Sopwith Camel kit came with a molded "stitching" detail, which I used. The SE5A doesn't have one. You could use pins on the workboard, pinned over a piece of covering on top of a piece of wax paper. The pins are used as guides to route the zig-zag stitching pattern. After routing the string, soak the string down to the covering with thin CA. Finally, cut out a small strip of the covering with the stitching on it, and glue to the plane. The strip of covering behind the stitching will look like overlapped fabric on the real plane.

On the covering, its what make these model planes look so real. The full size planes were not perfect and had wrinkles, dings, etc. It is interesting how a plastic model can have far more detail, and no imperfections, but still not look nearly as realistic as a Guillows build, since the plastic model is "too perfect". They do not have character, like our balsa builds.

Forgot that you live not too far away, and have the same weather. I'll have to look on the map and see where your town is at.

Thanks for the pic posting info. Here I'll try one:
Bill Gaylord

Postby dbcisco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I'll have to open my Sopwith kit and look for the stitching.

You're at the other end of the state from me. I'm 15 miles north of Philly.

the embedded pic URL should end with .jpg or .gif (depends on the format of the pic). your pic attempt should have ended with:

SE5A_21_comp1_reduced_size.jpg

It looks like the avatar is either a redirect or stored in an unusual file format (or both). I use photobucket to store my pics, their system is easier to decipher to get the URL for the pic.
dbcisco

Postby dbcisco » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:53 pm

Next installment of build pics:

I went with meat tray tail feathers for lightness and ease of replacement.

Next, a little trim on the cockpit.

Painted fuselage.

Have the electronics installed. The wings will be fully detatchable, leaving the wing area under the fuselage for access to electronics and battery.
dbcisco

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:36 am

I'll have to get you into the Coverite Microlite covering. Very light, and the shrink rate is unbelievable. I have it on my Guillows SE5A. If you are using Monokote flat olive, then it is a tough color to shrink. For whatever reason, the flats are tougher to shrink. I've had a time with it on the few planes I used it on. With Coverite, as long as you don't let wrinkles overlap when heating, you can shrink anything out of it. After painting, I just carefully use a heat gun to re-shrink the model.
Bill Gaylord

Postby dbcisco » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Fuselage complete.

Next the wings.
dbcisco

Postby dbcisco » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 pm

Scratch made depron wings (for flying) with no top dihedral but doubled on bottom (like my Camel). CG is good, might put a little extra weight in nose until I'm sure.
So, here's my war weathered SE5:

dbcisco

Postby thymekiller » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:28 am

Nice. Thanks for listing the componnets. Someday I'm gonna try that.
Good looking plane.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Next

Return to General Building Questions