Ideal model.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Ideal model.

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 am

Just download the plans that are pretty much ALL available online and go to Kinko's or Staples or wherever is close to you and pay $4.00 to get a single piece output at any size you wish. Guillow's is right now charging $7.50 plus shipping for plans. Why would it be better to have them print old plans and send them? I feel for kit manufacturers like Guillow's where they really have to make decisions based on whether they can make money on this stuff. They don't complain that their discontinued stuff is available online and I think that is the best thing they can do for us. We are part of a very small group that won't buy several of the same item. It's not toilet paper. You don't just buy 1 of each kind of roll and your done. You gotta keep wiping so you gotta keep buying. Guillow's has no guarantees when they produce. It's very costly I'm sure.
Steve Blanchard

Postby squirlye » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 am

Steve, I don't think you understood what I was saying. I am talking about selling the kits with print wood. Guillows would only have to have a printer capable printing on the balsa directly. They already have (or should have ) all of the plans on file somewhere. Also they should still have the molds for all of the plastic parts for all of their kits. Like I said before they could sell this as special order only. Meaning they won't make the kit until someone orders it. Like I said before no inventory, it could be done. And yes it wouldn't make them a million dollars. But it would make a few of us happy campers. And yes I know all about the plans online. I have almost all of their modern discontinued kits already printed up and ready to use. I just hate having to copy and make all of my own parts.Cutting out parts from a pre printed sheet of balsa is easier. Also it is way cheaper to have the them printed at office depot 88 cents a sheet 24" x 36" I think all of their planes fit that size of paper. I also know that DPC models basicly rermakes all of the Guillow 100 series planes. But then again its not a Guillows kit that we all love,with all of their faults. :D
squirlye

Postby Steve Blanchard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 am

Hey Squirlye,

I wasn't aware that you wanted to buy the old Guillow's kits. I thought you just wanted the plans. Now because I'm pretty sure Guillow's is never going to produce printwood which is what almost every other kit manufacturer did before laser cutting (and many still do) it really isn't all that hard to make your own. I'm not sure what method you are using but there are several very simple ways of doing it that really don't add much time to the build process and you get the wood you want. I too like buying the Guillow's kits. That's just the little boy in me. My wife said something about our son once. She said "you know he isn't as interested in the activity as he is in getting the gear". I think that's true with most guys. I love buying all of the things related to our hobby. I do love building and flying of course, but I have bought way more kits than I'll ever build. I usually just scratch build from plans or from my own plans.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Mitch » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Not to detract from Guillows, but some of these kits ARE available... I am NOW building Bell's X-1 The Glamorous Glennis. Areo Masters makes several flying jet kits. The kits are PRINTED on the BALSA and they are about 30 dollars each! They are intended to be flown as gliders, with Jet-X motor(If you can get one) or Raiper rocket motors. You do not get much in the kit! Mitch
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Image 500 Series Corsair
WIDDOG

Postby bsadonkill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 pm

There is one model that i have never seen in balsa,thats Consolidated's B-36 . It would make an awsome model for the 2000 series.Maybe somewere in the 50 inch wingspan range. :mrgreen:
bsadonkill

Previous

Return to General Building Questions