Ideal model.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby nevetsw18 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Why not printed wood?
Building a B-25 & a Hurricane
-Steven
nevetsw18@yahoo.com
nevetsw18

Postby supercruiser » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:51 am

Guillow going ARF... thats like going to grandma's house expecting one of her homemade apple pies and find out she is serving a pie bought at the grocery store. but, I guess if that is where the market leads them, thats where they have to go.

Back to the WWI series..... Somebody had a good idea if you ask me. Sell the plans and vacuum form parts,only and put them in a cardboard mailing tube.
Maybe paste a reduced sized copy of the old box art on the mailing tube. Printing out a sheet of plans can't be very expensive (take a mint, original plan to Kinko's) , I presume the molds for the vacu parts still exist? I think getting set-up to do this, even as an experiment would not take that much money/effort. Yes, I know things can be more complicated than they appear.
supercruiser

Ideal Model

Postby svaughn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:28 pm

My personal favorite WWII plane is the F4F Wildcat. I've thought about building the Dumas walnut version of this plan, but have not yet.

If I were a company like Guillow, I'd look in to rubber powered nocal kits (see http://members.aol.com/aalmps/nocal.html).

The Guillow 4000 series is great, but there is no sense of scale in those models.

Part of the appeal of the Guillow Toy Airplanes (Eagle, X-Racer, Jetfire...) is the cockpit and the wing makings.

Also, I've been experimenting with using an inkjet printer to print details on tissue. Printing and applying preprinted tissue to models like the Guillow 400 and 900 series is not a simple task because of the rounded and compound surfaces. But it would be a snap with a nocal kit since all the surfaces would be flat. You might even think about using the preprinted tissue as the 'plan' like SIG does for its Thermal Dart (see http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGFF12.html).

Steve
Steve
svaughn

Planes I would like to see

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:16 am

I would like to see the Macchi C.200. I am trying to build planes from all major powers of WW2, but so far I have been unsuccessful because I can't find Italian aircraft!! :D
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 am

Oh, I forgot to say I would like if it was 500 or 900 series.
Arlo DiPasquale

Re: Ideal model.

Postby John galt » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:09 am

I often wish there were more variety out there in the kit world. I would like to see a kit made for the following:

Boeing
B52

B2

B377 super guppy

F117 - I wouldn't think this would be tough to scratchUP with it being all flat panels

Northrop N9M or YB49

Cessna Skymaster 336 or 337

A larger spruce goose HK1 or H3 Hercules

SR71 blackbird

U2 spy plane

Lockheed C69 constellation

X1 glamorous glennis

Junkers JU52

Ford trimotor

XB70 Valkyrie

Rutan aircraft

Variviggen

LongEZ

Quickie

Voyager or global flyer- both round the world record record holders

Boomerang

Pond racer

Spaceship 1 and 2 and white knight the launch platform

And last but not least the Hughes P21 which isn't a real plane but I love the look...it's from a game called crimson skies

I wish all the manufacturers of models the best of luck and hope someone's capable of making these when I retire so I can have something to do :)

...and then I read the original post title...

The one I'd like to have most would be the Rutan Pond Racer
John galt

Postby mikew » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:30 am

I would love to see the Lancaster Bomber !
mikew

Postby slopemeno » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Well, if I was Guillow's I'd be thinking...

...probably a single engine.

...haven't made it before

...laser cut

Messerschmitt Me-108 Taifun
Beech T-34 Mentor
T-28
IL-2
For a "stretch target"- how about an Me-410?
slopemeno

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:05 pm

nevetsw18 wrote:Hello everyone, I was wondering if people would be willing to share the plane they would most like to see as a model. Mine Would be the F-22 Raptor, the Boeing 727 or the Boeing 377.

I'll go with airliners, simply because there are so few of them available as kits. Something in the 30"-40" range would be nice, as they can potentially be converted for flight. I know that turbine models and airliners are not practical as rubber powered models, but then again the Guillows DC3 is a display model, but also one of the better flying models that I converted to electric rc. That said, it would be nice if they sold airliner kits as display models, and then we could modify them as desired. Vintage airliners like the Comet, with beautiful wing blended nacelles would be nice. Building one from scratch was a considerable job, and I may never brave flying it, after all the work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby joecrouse » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Sr71/a12/variants.

the Corsair in 500 scale.
The Yak 3 in 500 series Or the Sturmovick.

Id love to see some of Burt Rutans Designs in Balsa and Tissue. (imagine the Voyager done in balsa and tissue talk about an endurance rubber contest model) Id like to see a lot of differnt kids that Comet made re released
joecrouse

Postby Scott » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:03 am

Beautiful looking Comet,Bill.

I'd like to see Guillow's produce the Hawker Sea Fury,in either Australian,
British,or Canadian Navy markings.A Grumman Tracker would be nice too.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:37 am

Hey Howard,

I really like your list of possibilities and I hope they do a couple of them. I especially like the Golden age military. I am just about finished with a plan for the Avia Bk534 (no wheel pants) but it is for rubber powered FAC scale so I don't think it would be anything like a Guillow's style model. I also would love to see the Curtiss P6E you have on your list. That was a beautiful plane that has been a very popular rubber scale subject. Keep up the good work with Guillows!

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby slopemeno » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 pm

A Grumman Tracker is a great idea, and there's tons of color schemes to choose from. I used to live close to an Air Attack fire bomber base in Northern California, and there were days where the rumble of those planes seemed to go on all day.

I also agree on the Sea Fury- Thats a nice, and under-modeled subject. I got to stand right next to one at an airshow in the 80's as it trundeled up to the crowd at Hamilton Field, folded it's wings, blipped the throttle and let that huge prop spin down to a stop- truly an impressive machine. IIRC Lloyd Hamilton owned that one.
slopemeno

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 am

I would love to see a Guillow's C130 Hercules kit! Since that is unlikely to happen I have to say I totally agree with the modelers that have already posted. Basically I would like to see Guillow's print out some of the plans they have. i.e. I believe they own ole Comet plans ect. I also agree with the above modelers that I don't think it would cost Guillow's very much to print the plans and sell them. I believe Guillow's could make a profit off of selling the plans alone. I just wanted to add that Guillow's does sell plans to their kits separately already. I have, in the past, bought plans professionally printed and paid top dollar for them. Believe me I understand that plans can be downloaded and printed out on a PC printer. They have to be cut and pasted together and really are nowhere as good as the plans the factory prints. I personally would pay top dollar for a factory printed set of plans. Even though I'm sure Guillow's has a lot of plans already maybe it would possible for them to have a development department for new models i.e. C130's perhaps.
WIDDOG

Postby squirlye » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:33 pm

What Guillows should do for all of the discontinued planes, is print the parts directly to the balsa wood. That is how the peanut scale Sterling models were. They could sell them with just the plastic parts and the plans. Or they could just re-release them as a whole kit without anything being di-cut or laser cut. And they can do this as a special order, online order only. They would only have to package what the person ordered, saving them from having to have an inventory. I honestly think it would work, people on this forum are always talking about the old kits and how much they want them back. I personally would probably stop looking on e-bay if they did that. I would love to build all of the 100 series.
squirlye

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions