Low cost kits

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby SteveM » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Mad Cap Romanian wrote:I own a hobby shop and I'm just starting with the Guillow's model kits.

I try to keep the prices low and it will be a while before I get Dope, but I want to give it a good try and possibly bring in the micro electric motors and light weight servo's to convert them to RC.

I've got the kits so far, but need to do this in "Baby Steps" due to the current economy.

It should prove interesting and educational to have a LHS owner posting on this forum. I never buy kits, motors, ESCs, radios, batteries, servos, or anything similar at my LHS because there are so many places like Todd's Models whos prices are significantly below the LHS. That or I want something special like a motor from MicroDAN or Steve Neu because there are quality made in the USA and not available at a LHS.

As for RC conversions, there are many of them, but I'm not sure how well you could build a business around it. I think mainly we hit up the LHS when we need building supplies like glue, wood, metal tubing, screws, washers, and bits and pieces for linkages. It have a hard time finding nylon wing bolts and brass inserts online, but a trip to the LHS and I can get just what I need for a reasonable price. But for items costing more than about $10 each the LHS is just not the way to go unless I am in a hurry.
SteveM

Postby Greyhound » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Balsa USA has some huge planes!
Greyhound

Postby thymekiller » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 pm

According to my lhs, nobody builds anything anymore, except arf's.
They have some series 400 guillows, but they are higher than Guillows with shipping. They have dust on the boxes.
It may be different where you are.
thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby planejane » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:24 pm

I love hobby shops, but it would be hard to please everyone and make a a profit both. Us old timers that like to build are out gunned by the kids that want a plug and play R/C car, plane or whatev.
My ideal hobby shop would be heavy with hobby tools such as Foredom and Dremel and every accessory they make, Exacto, Zona cutting tools, all the different hobby metals, wire and shapes, hardware, books, tons of balsa kits and coverings. It would have a bunch of all the now less popular combustion engines and related parts. Of course airbrush stuff and every conceivable paint- oh and most important- employees knowledgable in everything i want to know. All at internet prices! ha ha
planejane

Postby planejane » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:46 pm

thymekiller wrote:According to my lhs, nobody builds anything anymore, except arf's.
They have some series 400 guillows, but they are higher than Guillows with shipping. They have dust on the boxes.
It may be different where you are.
thymekiller

thats exactly what they said at my local hobby place- In fact theres only two hobby shops near seattle- one in tukwila, and one in lynnwood- about 30 miles apart. I think you'd starve as a storefront business unfortunately if you catered only to us :(
planejane

Postby SteveM » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 pm

I just finishing converting a 400 series P-51 to 4 channel RC. It was a blast and not like ARFs where everyone at the field is flying the same plane and complain how it took a whole Saturday to build their last plane. Anyhow, when I was at my LHS and mentioned I was converting a 400 series the owner said that people do it from time to time had no doubt that I'd get it flying. I guess it depends on your LHS and the people in your area.

Planejane, check out Todd's Models located in North Bend. In addition to the internet site he has a brick and mortar store that is open Tuesday through Saturday. Even if it is further than you want to drive, priority mail will be cheap with next day delivery.
SteveM

Postby planejane » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:24 pm

Todds looks worth a look- do you know if theres more at the store than their basic online site? i like the extended 60K item mega site!
it could be a fun saturday drive or cycle ride---if i ride the cycle it prevents me from buying too much for lack of storage space LOL
planejane

Postby planejane » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 pm

Greyhound wrote:Balsa USA has some huge planes!

if you drill down the extensive list they get smaller- somewhat...
apparently listed from biggest to smallest
planejane

Postby thymekiller » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:52 pm

I have the balsa usa Taube 40. Havent built it yet.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Previous

Return to General Building Questions