struts

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

struts

Postby warthog357 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:59 pm

have built a guillows thomas morse s4c having trouble installing struts can''t get them to stay put to glue in place what would be a good way to install the top and bottom wings together? first bi-plane :oops:
warthog357

Re: struts

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:37 pm

I hope you installed the extra bracing as per Guillow's, "MODELING HINT". I always do that during construction of the wing. Next I double up the struts (laminate them with a piece of scrap balsa, then sand them down). They will be slightly larger than original. Then I open up the pocket in the wing to hold the struts securely. Then the struts will fit snugly in place and stay there. That is the point I am at with my SE5. Now I see the top and bottom wing are parallel. I want a little extra angle of incidence in the top wing. so I will trim down the aft strut to achieve this. Then I glue in the struts in the bottom wing, after a few minutes of drying time I will 'plug in' the top wing. All my struts are snug enough for everything to hold together. I might have to stack up books or something if I think the wing might shift, to hold things in place, Just to give side support to the wing.

I will let this dry. Then I will 'pop in' the cabine struts. Make sure there is not too much stress. Remove them and trim if necessary, add glue and put those back in place. Again let dry.

That is what I do.

I hope this helps. I will take pictures of my SE5 if you need pictures.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 am

The cabane struts are one of those areas where CA and activator are priceless. As Mitch said, making a slightly tighter socket fit helps. They often come with enough length to slightly deepen the sockets in the wings. I often just cut my own from ply, making them a bit long and then trimming them to length, giving about an additional degree of positive incidence on the top wing.
Bill Gaylord

Postby warthog357 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

yes i installed the bracing,but pictures would be worth a thousand words as it is said,thanks for the help.got to get a fresh bottle of CA,trying to do it with sigs airplane glue right now ,
warthog357

Postby Mitch » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:07 am

I will be putting the top wing on my SE5 today... (with pictures)

Mitch

PS I had a lengthy discussion with an FAC friend. I will be adding just a little extra incidence to the top wing.

UPDATE: Here is the sequence I went though:

1. After test fit decided to trim aft struts slightly.

2. Using white glue, fill pockets and wait a few minutes.

3. Insert struts in pockets and wait a few minutes

4. Insert glue in upper wing

5. I almost had everything together, when everything fell apart. Re-insert struts. Fwd left strut is loose so I support with paint can. Get another cup of coffee.

6. Test glue is 'tacky' re-assemble everything and support model. I will leave this alone for a few hours then insert the cabine struts. I use white glue. I do not like CA as it affects me.

Hope this helps, Mitch
Mitch

Postby Wildpig » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:47 pm

You can make an assembly jig to hold the wings in place until glued. This will not only hold the wings but allows to set the incidence of the top wing. The jig is just two pieces of heavy card stock with the airfoil profile of the wings cut out.
You slide the cardstock down the outer ends of the wings. Then insert your struts and glue. After curing. Slide the cardstock off the wing. You get the size of the jig from the profile view of your plans sheet.
I know, pictures. I really can't post a picture easily and I don't have one of those jigs handy.
Check out this link:
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page4b.htm
Wildpig

Postby Coloradoken » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:48 pm

The assembly jig idea is used on the 1903 Wright Flyer and works great.
Coloradoken

Postby Mitch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:03 am

Good point about the jig to get things set right. I just went by 'eye'... we will see if my plane flies?

Maybe I will make a jig for my next biplane.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:43 am

I have a T.M. Scout in My kit inventory, nice to see this thread before My build. Sometimes I will tack glue temporary struts to hold things in place, and also have adopted from Dumas kits a template to aligt top and bottom wings. You can make one easy by tracing side view of pla , and then cutting a template out of stiff paper, or thin cardboard.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions