The Plane that never flew, my 40+ y/o FW 190.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

The Plane that never flew, my 40+ y/o FW 190.

Postby Mitch » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:16 am

I just came back from a visit to NY. At my parents house in the basement, covered in dust, is the last surviving model of my early Guillow builds.

Here are a few pictures:

I installed an engine from a wrecked Ready to Fly KingCobra. As I remember that model cost less than a new cox .049 engine.

I did have to buy a gas tank and that was installed.

I decided to build the FW as it had a nice wide landing gear set up.
This model was covered with kit paper and painted with AeroGloss colored dope.

I never flew this model although I seem to remember I did fire up the engine.

I recently learned there is a U control flying area at a nearby small airport... I might have to follow up on that.

Mitch
Mitch

Re: The Plane that never flew, my 40+ y/o FW 190.

Postby Brenda » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:28 pm

I think it looks great! I say fly it but inspect lead outs and control horn
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks Brenda, but the plane is in New York and I live about 3000 miles away. I think it would be easier for me to build a new one. Maybe I could have my Dad mail it to me?

Here is another picture:

So you say I need to inspect where the leads tie to the horn? I might be able to look in there. But if they need to be replaced I would have to cut away the top of the skin.

Here is another picture of how the control wire leads out to the elevator... All Guillow parts.

...and I even used those pieces of cloth for the hinges:

Does the rudder seem correct? Seems a bit extreme to me.

I am thinking about the NW engines! I need to find out more about the U-control park!

Mitch
Mitch

Postby tail spin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:50 pm

If any thing ship it home, clean it up & put it on display! That old veteran should be pampered.
tail spin

Postby Brenda » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:35 am

Rudder is fine. Will keep lines tight. If rust or crack in control plate it's a no go
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks Brenda, but I think I will go with what Tailspin says. I will ship it to my house next time I visit my Dad. I think that old bird will stay retired, and earned her place in my 'hanger'. I have too many things going on and need to refine my skills at rubber power.

Here is another picture of the plane wide stance on her landing gear:

After 40 some years, the paper on the model is very brittle. When I get her to her final resting place I will polish up the canopy and carefully clean her up a bit. For now she is still resting in my Dad's basement.

I would hesitate to buy old finished models on ebay as they may look nice but may not be 'flight worthy' also I thought about getting a gas engine but replacement parts will be a problem.

For the time being, I need to get back to finishing my current projects.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:09 pm

That's a real classic Mitch. This was a real coincidence when I first saw this thread, since I just returned home after buying my 3rd Guillows 190 when I first read it. The first one flew alright, about 50 feet and then boomeranged back and almost hit me. :D The second flies well, but they finally tempted me to build yet another so I can include all the afterthoughts, with LC parts to boot.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions