Newbie to the forum & building balsa aircraft

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Newbie to the forum & building balsa aircraft

Postby tail spin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:04 am

Hello everyone !
I wanted to drop a line to say thanks for the add to your forum. I recently started building the Guillows kits. My first build was kit #501 Curtis P-40. My first rubber powered flight and following flights didn't go well but the first "test glide" went without a hitch! Not sure why it decided to fly straight & level then take a climb then pitch & roll into a tail spin (hint for my forum name) it was a bit breezy that morning 5-10 mph. About me, I drive a semi for a living but currently on leave due to being rear ended by another rig while I was stopped in a construction zone on the highway resulting in a (temporary I hope) brain injury. My building arsenal consists of the DHC-2 Beaver kit.then a few weeks ago being I couldn't resist temptation of the larger scale P-51 for a future build as if I should hone my skills for such a challenge. I have been in many different modeling hobbies RC air & land, narrow gauge railroading & Plastic modeling with successful builds... But balsa air craft is a challenge & desire I desire to succeed in with a successful flying model. ( as seen on you tube videos) First only rubber powered then maybe go on to brushless electric RC in a Guillows kit. LOL, I always wondered why dope was referred to as "dope" then I used it.. :shock: Wow, even with 625 cubic feet per minute exhaust booth it still had an effect. Enough rambling for now, Thanks for the add & I hope several of you fine modelers out there can "mentor" me online through this new endeavor. I find the build alone to be enjoying. off the topic: In the model railroading world the kits that contain a only box of wood & plans are referred to as a "Craftsman kit" they are highly desired & coveted. I see one needs to be a Craftsman in the art of balsa aircraft as well. As more to it then meets the eye. I am excited to be a part of your modeling community. Best regards, Bob H
tail spin

Re: Newbie to the forum & building balsa aircraft

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:58 am

Rubber powered FF is a real challenge. I've mostly been working in RC conversions, but in the last year have been doing a FF Rubber motor on occasion. It is not as easy as it looks. I have the same problem as you. Mine test glide perfect, but as soon as I fly with motor wound, I get all sorts of unpredictable things happen. I hope you stay interested in this hobby. Good luck on your builds, and you should put up some pics of your planes.
davidchoate

Postby tail spin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:30 am

Thank you David. Now I know the rubber powered isn't the easiest it makes me feel better :wink: After watching you tube videos of electric RC conversions & noticing how fast they are , I was wondering is there a way to slow them down to a "scale speed" the best way for me to describe it anyway or is it the norm for them to be fast due to the size & weight? Didn't know if a resistor would be able to be placed in the wiring to reduce voltage for a slower rpm or? (Older guy that moves slow LOL)
tail spin

Postby tail spin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 am

Forgot, I do plan on staying in this hobby even if I should decide to build display models only. Cool stuff! :mrgreen:
tail spin

Postby Brenda » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:47 am

Hi ya,
Working with balsa is a true art. I built many kits as a kid on a shoestring budget. Video games were not invented yet and I had no TV so kits is how I passed time. I think I'm the only person that really likes the smell of dope and balsa dust. I like the control line version over others as speed is lower and never more than 25feet from bad eyes.
Take care fellow driver,
Brenda
Brenda

Postby Konrad » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:23 pm

tail spin wrote:Forgot, I do plan on staying in this hobby even if I should decide to build display models only. Cool stuff! :mrgreen:

There is nothing demeaning or second rate in building display models. A well built Guillow stick and tissue display model has more presence and impact than a typical "plastic" model. This is because a balsa model, for the most part, starts out as flat sheets while most plastic models begin with some 3d shapes.

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad

Postby tail spin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome !
tail spin

Postby Wildpig » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Bob,
I hope you do get to enjoy this hobby.

You P-40 flight sounds like the classic "power on" stall. The model glides well but, climbs and stalls under power. There is a cure for that. You can find it here on the forum, look for topics on: trimming for flight.
Yes, every balsa airplane kit is a "craftsman kit".

If you are interested in flying these models, I suggest the Fairchild 24, Bird Dog, Lancer , Javelin, Flyboy,or Arrow.
The WWII models will fly, they need some careful tweaking to get satisfactory flights.

By the way, that must have been one solid hit to cause brain injury. I hope you do recover, soon. Maybe these models will be good therapy.
Wildpig

Postby tail spin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27 am

Thank you Wildpig :wink: While being bored due to my current limitations I did a search on my local Craigslist & found a Guillows B-17 kit unopened for sale for $50 :shock: Thought about it but... being my driving privileges are revoked temporarily :( I thought it would be best to pass it up. If you are near my area in KS it sounded like a slick deal.
tail spin

Postby David Lewis » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:59 am

tail spin wrote: "After watching you tube videos of electric RC conversions & noticing how fast they are, I was wondering is there a way to slow them down to a "scale speed"... or is it the norm for them to be fast due to the size & weight?"

Small scale models can certainly be made to fly slowly if wing loading is low enough and maximum lift coefficient high. This requires more clever design and construction techniques but, in my opinion, a worthwhile endeavor. The downside is that small, lightly loaded slow flyers do best in gentle or no breeze conditions.
Last edited by David Lewis on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Lewis

Postby Wildpig » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 pm

tail spin wrote:Thank you Wildpig :wink: While being bored due to my current limitations I did a search on my local Craigslist & found a Guillows B-17 kit unopened for sale for $50 :shock: Thought about it but... being my driving privileges are revoked temporarily :( I thought it would be best to pass it up. If you are near my area in KS it sounded like a slick deal.

$50.oo for an unopened B-17 kit is a decent price.
I'm no where near Kansas. Although, every couple of years I go to Wichita on business.
Wildpig

Postby tail spin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:15 am

(Wildpig) "I'm no where near Kansas. Although, every couple of years I go to Wichita on business."
Wichita is my home! As a matter of fact there is a park not so far away from me that still has a concrete ring made for control line aircraft. A buddy & me have discussed getting back into it. Yes, I must admit there was some deep thought about calling about that B-17 kit but after my recent injury, Unfortunately the Doctor & the good wife warned me about mental stimulation after this recent concussion as I am to not think... :| Me I am waiting for the day they release me then look out! :wink:
tail spin

Postby Mitch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:34 am

Welcome Tail Spin...

Mitch here aboard my ship in Anchorage. I like to build the 400 series and am currently working on the 1000 series. I have been building since 10 y/o, but got back in a few years ago. Got my first flight with the 400 series P-51 built as per plans with kit prop and rubber... I was surprised when it actually flew.

Since then I have joined FAC and am rebuilding the 400 series lighter and with more power.

I think it will be very rewarding to see your plane fly under rubber power.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Wildpig » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 am

tail spin wrote:(Wildpig) "I'm no where near Kansas. Although, every couple of years I go to Wichita on business."
Wichita is my home! As a matter of fact there is a park not so far away from me that still has a concrete ring made for control line aircraft. A buddy & me have discussed getting back into it. Yes, I must admit there was some deep thought about calling about that B-17 kit but after my recent injury, Unfortunately the Doctor & the good wife warned me about mental stimulation after this recent concussion as I am to not think... :| Me I am waiting for the day they release me then look out! :wink:

I know of a control line ring in Wichita, it's near the Beech plant. You've got some potentially tremendous free flight fields out there after the wheat harvest.
Wildpig

Postby tail spin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27 am

Oh yea! Now if I can only build a successful FF aircraft :wink: May have to go with the basic proven kits until my building & trimming skills are honed. The ring I know of is about 3/4 mile south of me on Oliver just north of the Boeing/ Spirit Aircraft plants.
tail spin

Next

Return to General Building Questions