Tora! Tora! Tora! My 400 Zero

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Tora! Tora! Tora! My 400 Zero

Postby scigs30 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:45 am

Mitch, I built this same kit and built it per the plans and the weight is the same as yours. I have discovered either go all the way and do a major restructuring to make these kits lighter or just save time the hassle and build per the plans. Mine took a lot of clay up in the nose but I am able to get 30-45 sec flights with 8 inch Peck Prop. Here is my build and all the weights listed.
viewtopic.php?t=2027
scigs30

Postby Mitch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:58 am

Nice build of yours also... these laser cut kits go together so well!

I was a bit disappointed mine did not come out lighter after all the work I tried to lighten the model. With the cg so far forward she will need a lot of ballast, but the weight of my nose block when finished might be enough. I plan to use a 9 inch prop for flights, but we will have to wait and see for that... Maybe I will start with an 8 inch and then try the 9 inch.

I have not been putting the wing fairings in, and I plan to do some test flights before I pen in the lines and add other details.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby scigs30 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Mitch, I fully understand I have been through the sweat and labor of making these kits lighter and to find out it does not make much difference. Now I just build them as is and if the sheet wood is more than 12 lb/ft, I send it back to Guillows for replacement and they do a great job of sending me new wood. Also I like the heavy duty strip wood but the L.E can sometimes be a little to heavy so you made need to swap that out. These kits were never made to win a contest but they are fun for a good 30 sec flight.
scigs30

Postby Mitch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks Scigs, et al,

Well, we will just have to see my final AUW and see how my Zero flies. I have some Easy Built kits, but sometimes I don't like the way they look. They are not 'quite right' for a 'scale' model. I plan to keep taking some Guillow models to my FAC contests as I like the 'look' of the Guillow kits.

Moreover I have a nostalgia attachment to the Guillow kits as I started building them when I was 10 y/o. But they never flew... I am happy with my results now and want to share my knowledge with new comers, but I am not an expert and I am always learning.

Thank you, Mitch

Here is a picture of my Zero pair. The new version is substantially lighter.

PS Since I have extra parts I plan to build the Rufe in 1/16 scale. I have the plans for the 500 model and I see the tail is not correct. I found this picture on the net and it looks like this is what Guillows used for there color scheme.

I'll see if I can make this to fly... FAC gives extra points for floats! :D
Mitch

Postby scigs30 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Mitch it would be nice to see what the weights of your two Zeros are. David
scigs30

Postby Mitch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:22 pm

David et al,

Yes...but now my scale is on the ship. I can only use it there when we are in port as the 20,000 hp diesel engine is always making a vibration that makes my scale useless when the ship is underway. I wanted to weigh some things in port. The green Zero weighs 100g as is and the grey Zero is about 68g but still needs a little work on the front end and is not quite in balance.

I think the Rufe will be easier to balance, and if I can get her built in at under 100g she will be a flyer! I picked up some purple and light blue paper for the Rufe... also white and red as I plan to make my own markings with a circle cutter!

Now back to the ship... the Merchant Marine is always delivering... not much time in port... :( Mitch

PS My vacation starts in 3 weeks! :D

I'll sign off with a picture of me on the Bridge wing of my ship... 2am in the morning (last month) in Alaska with Mt Redoubt in the background.
(No flash on the photo)
Mitch

Previous

Return to General Building Questions